Relics of the past

The region has an interesting history,
reflecting its industrial origins

ALL HALLOWS PARISH CHURCH

Shelley Lane, Kirkburton, Huddersfield HD8 OSJ

Telephone: 01484 418360

A place of worship that has been occupied for over a thousand years. The building today is considered to be the most complete example of a 13th century church in West Yorkshire, even though it has undergone many changes. There is also a small family history centre for visitors to view when tracing family graves and records.

Link: www.allhallowschurch.com

Image of ALL HALLOWS PARISH CHURCH

BIRDSEDGE WAR MEMORIAL

Penistone Road, Birdsedge, Huddersfield

The war memorial is situated in the garden area in front of Birdsedge First School and next to Birdsedge Village Hall.

Link: www.kirklees.gov.uk

Image of BIRDSEDGE WAR MEMORIAL

BURTON CROSS

Far Dene, Highburton, Huddersfield

The cross marks the site of the medieval market. It stands at the top of Far Dene at its junction with Town Gate and Hall Lane. The steps at the base probably date from the 14th century, the shaft and ball from the 18th or 19th.

Image of BURTON CROSS

BURTON DEAN PARK

North Road, Kirkburton, Huddersfield

Burton Dean Park is on the site of the former Carter Mill. It is presently a small public open space, owned and managed by Kirklees Council, with assistance from the local community.

Image of BURTON DEAN PARK

CANNON HALL MUSEUM

Bark House Lane, Cawthorne, Barnsley S75 4AT

Telephone: 01226 790270

Cannon Hall Museum is located just outside the Denby Dale area, in Barnsley. For 200 years Cannon Hall was home to the Spencer-Stanhope family, who made their fortune in the local iron industry. In the 1790s the architect John Carr of York enlarged the hall and redesigned the interior. The house stands at the top of a beautiful country park, with wide-ranging views of the local countryside.

Link: www.cannon-hall.co.uk

Image of CANNON HALL MUSEUM

CLAYTON WEST WAR MEMORIAL

Church Lane, Clayton West, Huddersfield

The memorial is situated at the junction of Church Lane and Holmfield Road.

Link: www.kirklees.gov.uk

Image of CLAYTON WEST WAR MEMORIAL

DENBY DALE PIE

Pie Hall, Wakefield Road, Denby Dale, Huddersfield

The famous Denby Dale Pies are a 220-year-old village tradition; usually baked to celebrate national special occasions and events. The giant pies have been registered in the Guinness Book of Records in previous years. The last pie was baked to celebrate the Millennium.

Link: www.denbydale.com

Image of DENBY DALE PIE

DENBY DALE VIADUCT

Wakefield Road, Denby Dale, Huddersfield

The railway viaduct is one of the main landmarks of the village, as it strides across the Dearne Valley carrying the Penistone Railway Line. The viaduct was constructed in 1846 as a wooden structure, opening in 1850 as part of the Huddersfield to Sheffield railway line. The present stone viaduct was built in 1879.

Link: www.denbydale.com

Image of DENBY DALE VIADUCT

DENBY DALE WAR MEMORIAL

Wakefield Road, Denby Dale, Huddersfield

The village war memorial is situated in the small car park opposite the post office. Each year, the memorial acts as a focus of remembrance for the village to remember those who fell during the wars.

Link: www.kirklees.gov.uk

Image of DENBY DALE WAR MEMORIAL

EMLEY MOOR MAST

Jagger Lane, Emley, Huddersfield

The Emley Moor Mast is a transmitting station which is used for TV transmission for most of Yorkshire. The current tower is the third structure to have occupied the site. It has a height of 330.4m (1,084 ft) and is the tallest freestanding structure in the UK.

Link: www.thebigtower.com

Image of EMLEY MOOR MAST

EMLEY WAR MEMORIAL

Church Lane, Emley, Huddersfield

The war memorial is situated on Church Lane outside Emley Parish Church.

Link: www.kirklees.gov.uk

Image of EMLEY WAR MEMORIAL

GUNTHWAITE HALL CROOK BARN

Gunthwaite, Ingbirchworth, Penistone, Sheffield S36 7GE

Gunthwaite Hall barn is a fine example of a medieval aisled barn. In such barns the nave is always significantly wider than the aisles. The reason for this is to provide a large floor area serving a multi-purpose function, incorporating both a storage area for hay and crops and stalls for cattle.

Image of GUNTHWAITE HALL CROOK BARN

HUTHWAITE HALL

Huthwaite Lane, Thurgoland, Sheffield

Huthwaite Hall was built by John Carr in 1748. The hall was built for John Cockshutt who operated the wire mills in Thurgoland. The hall consists of a complex of buildings including a farmhouse, brew house, stables and lodge, all now private residence.

Image of HUTHWAITE HALL

IRON AGE SETTLEMENT

Windmill Lane, High Flatts, Huddersfield

The site of an Iron Age village dating between 700 BC and 50 AD. Some of the things excavated from the Iron Age settlement can be seen at the Tolson Museum, in Huddersfield.

Link: www.kirklees.gov.uk

Image of IRON AGE SETTLEMENT

KIRKBURTON WAR MEMORIAL AND GARDENS

George Street, Kirkburton, Huddersfield

The memorial is situated in the Garden of Remembrance below Kirkburton Church, opposite the George Inn. It is a stone cross with a crucifix and statue of St George on a stepped hexagonal base with the names on the risers.

Link: www.kirklees.gov.uk

Image of KIRKBURTON WAR MEMORIAL AND GARDENS

PACKHORSE BRIDGE

Manor Road, Clayton West, Huddersfield

This is off the A636 opposite the road to Emley, which was, at one time, a packhorse track to the parish church of High Hoyland. The bridge consists of one horse-wide masonry arches with low parapets, and was for many years the main crossing over the River Dearne.

Image of PACKHORSE BRIDGE

QUAKER VILLAGE AND MEETING HOUSE

High Flatts Quaker Meeting House, 9 Quaker Bottom, High Flatts, Huddersfield HD8 8XU

Quakers have met at High Flatts since the mid 17th century, as evidenced by the historic gravestones behind the meeting house. The present building is mainly 19th century in construction, and was the heart of an active Quaker village, with its own adult school.

Link: www.highflattsquakers.org.uk

Image of QUAKER VILLAGE AND MEETING HOUSE

SCISSETT WAR MEMORIAL

Wakefield Road, Scissett, Huddersfield

The war memorial is situated at the junction of Wakefield Road and Busker Lane. The memorial is in the shape of a cross with an octagonal base with inscriptions on the risers.

Link: www.kirklees.gov.uk

Image of SCISSETT WAR MEMORIAL

SHELLEY WAR MEMORIAL

Huddersfield Road, Shelley, Huddersfield

The memorial is situated in the lych gate of Shelley Emmanuel Church.

Link: www.kirklees.gov.uk

Image of SHELLEY WAR MEMORIAL

SHEPLEY WAR MEMORIAL

Firth Street, Shepley, Huddersfield

The war memorial is situated in the woodlands above Shepley Recreation Ground. It is signposted from the car park next to the Shepley Tennis Club, on Firth Street.

Link: www.kirklees.gov.uk

Image of SHEPLEY WAR MEMORIAL

SKELMANTHORPE TEXTILE HERITAGE CENTRE

Textile Heritage Unit, Weaver’s Cottage, 6 Queen Street, Skelmanthorpe

The museum is preserved by local historians as a private Textile Heritage Centre, complete with hand loom and associated equipment. Although not able to open to the public, the Centre owners are happy to take guided tours for individuals or groups of up to eight people on a pre-booked system.

Link: www.friendsofskelmanthorpetextileheritagecentre.btck.co.uk

Image of SKELMANTHORPE TEXTILE HERITAGE CENTRE

SKELMANTHORPE WAR MEMORIAL

Highbridge Lane, Skelmanthorpe, Huddersfield

The war memorial is situated in Skelmanthorpe Cemetery at the junction of Busker Lane and Highbridge Lane.

Link: www.kirklees.gov.uk

Image of SKELMANTHORPE WAR MEMORIAL

SPRINGFIELD HOUSE, FORMER KIRKBURTON TOWN HALL

The owners of the nearby mill built Springfield House in the 1830s. It was bought by Kirkburton Urban District Council in 1935 and taken over as a town hall three years later. It is a Grade II Listed Building and is now a private residence with the grand, if inaccurate, name of ‘Kirkburton Hall’.

Image of SPRINGFIELD HOUSE, FORMER KIRKBURTON TOWN HALL

THURSTONLAND WAR MEMORIAL

Marsh Hall Lane, Thurstonland, Huddersfield

The memorial is situated at the junction of Marsh Hall Lane and ‘The Village’ in the centre of Thurstonland. It is a stone-built monument, standing approximately 15 feet tall with a wreath at the top, set in a walled area and surrounded by floral decorations.

Link: www.kirklees.gov.uk

Image of THURSTONLAND WAR MEMORIAL

UPPER CUMBERWORTH VILLAGE STOCKS

Formerly located to the south of Cumberworth Lane opposite the school and now near the entrance to the lovely St. Nicholas' Church in the village conservation area.

Image of UPPER CUMBERWORTH VILLAGE STOCKS

WENTWORTH CASTLE GARDENS

Lowe Lane, Stainborough, Barnsley S75 3ET

Telephone: 01226 776040

This site is now closed to the public. Wentworth Castle Gardens and Stainborough Park is located outside of the Denby Dale area, close to the M1. The gardens of the impressive Wentworth Castle have been recently renovated, and include formal gardens and landscaped parkland. There's also a newly restored Victorian conservatory, a visitor centre, gift shop, café and adventure playground.

Link: www.wentworthcastle.org

Image of WENTWORTH CASTLE GARDENS

WORTLEY HALL

Wortley, Sheffield S35 7DB

Telephone: 0114 2882100

Wortley Hall is located outside the Denby Dale area, in Barnsley. Dating from 1800, Wortley Hall is now a conference centre. The gardens are open to the public all year round.

Link: www.wortleyhall.org.uk

Image of WORTLEY HALL

WORTLEY TOP FORGE

Wortley Top Forge Industryial Museum, Thurgoland, Sheffield S35 7DN

Telephone: 0114 2887576

Wortley Top Forge is located outside of the Denby Dale area, in Barnsley. This 17th century iron-making forge is open to the public at weekends. It provides a fascinating glimpse of the only iron-making industry in the area. Close by are the sites of three wire-mills on Old Mill Lane in Thurgoland.

Link: www.topforge.co.uk

Image of WORTLEY TOP FORGE